Re: Resource framework, relocatability (was Re: Glib: a Win32 discussion)

2011/4/18 Alberto Ruiz <aruiz gnome org>:
> So yeah, .RPM/.DEB is absolutely fine for system level components
> (platform, shell...). But for applications, I have to say I really
> don't agree at all that it is the right mechanism, unless you come up
> with a sandboxed approach for apps installed by the user.

Apparently what's needed is some kind of per-user package manager.

Most things an application will need can be done by manipulating stuff
in the home directory. This includes things such as browser plugins. I
guess it would be best to ensure that application authors can use
every desktop feature without manipulating any root-owned files.

Automatically adding ~/bin to PATH if it exists and the .local
hierarchy are examples of this approach.