Re: Resource framework, relocatability (was Re: Glib: a Win32 discussion)

Hi,

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 1:45 PM, Alexander Larsson <alexl redhat com> wrote:
> Also, apps that consume such files are also hard to relocate. Take
> nautilus for instance, it looks for extensions
> in /usr/lib64/nautilus/extensions-3.0/, but if you relocate it, how does
> extensions know where to install extensions?

For simplicity, suppose that your all-in-one-files have the extension
.glick. Suppose also that we have a per-user-per-system daemon
watching (relevant parts of, such as only ~/Downloads, ~/Desktop and
~/Applications) $HOME for such files. That daemon could then make
resources in each .glick file, such as .desktop files and other
things, available in the ~/.watcher-daemon hierarchy (by looking into
each fie). In fact ~/.watcher-daemon could be a FUSE mount the same
way ~/.gvfs is a FUSE mount. Then you just have to include
~/.watcher-daemon in the XDG environment variables and you are
basically done [1]. <crazy_idea/>

Hand-waving,
David

[1] : Not entirely done, of course - you might have to translate
absolute paths on the fly etc etc