Re: rendering-cleanup-next

On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 4:23 PM, Havoc Pennington <hp pobox com>

>>> There's a fair bit of trailing whitespace in the patch. Maybe turn on
>>> trailing-whitespace-highlighting in your editor.
>>>
>> I'm of the "if the tools don't fix it, it isn't broken" school of
>> thought.
>
> Emacs can be set up to fix it - you aren't using some suck editor are you :-P
>
> The problem with trailing whitespace (and using tabs) is that you get
> whitespace changes in diffs, or have to be tip-toeing around to avoid
> them, one or the other. If GTK doesn't have a policy against... it
> sure ought to. (Surely gnome.org has some kind of git hook that can be
> enabled to block trailing whitespace in new commits... )
>
> Anyhow, sure, if GTK has no policy that's fine. I assumed it had a
> sensible policy...

We don't have a written-down policy, beyond 'fit in locally'. But I
have become increasingly annoyed by trailing whitespace and mixed-in
tabs, since they do show up in my editor nowadays. So maybe we should
agree on a policy and put it in writing for 3.0.