Re: pixbuf<->cairo_surface_t conversion

On Thu, 2010-09-02 at 13:29 -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> Each pixbuf could keep a cairo_surface_t which just pointed to the
> pixbuf pixels and that cairo_surface_t would be used in paint() or for
> other compositing/scaling/etc. kind of operations.

Are you thinking of the loaders populating an image surface (and thus
being in application memory) or populating an xlib surface (and thus
being in X server memory?)

People seem to have gone to a lot of effort over the years to find the
right mix between GdkPixmap and GdkPixbuf and a fair bit of code has
been written (using ie cairo_surface_create_similar()) to do caching,
etc. Between your ideas here and Benjamin's work, I get the impression
that the status quo is well and truly smashed [great!] but now I'm
definitely vague about what's being loaded where, and when someone is
going to have to worry [differently] about the performance implications
of large copies between app and X server, etc.

AfC
Sydney