Re: pixbuf<->cairo_surface_t conversion

Hi,

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 2:05 PM, Matthias Clasen
<matthias clasen gmail com> wrote:
> There is some move to cairo surfaces in Benjamins rendering-cleanup
> branch (replacing pixmaps with surfaces in some places).

Replacing pixmaps seems right to me (because cairo_surface_t is
basically replacing GdkDrawable). But pixbufs ... a "pixbuf has-a
surface" model seems more sane. Deprecating all of the gdk-pixbuf
library and GTK APIs using it seems 1) not worth it and 2) like it
would result in a less-convenient API.

I guess a counterargument is "maybe you want to use a non-image
surface sometimes" so maybe we should go through your list and see if
that's actually useful. But if we didn't have a GdkPixmap API before,
I'm not sure there's much case that a pixmap-backended cairo_surface_t
is useful either.

Havoc