Re: Doubts about GPeriodic

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 10:28 AM, David Zeuthen <zeuthen gmail com> wrote:

> Anyway, my point really was something like this: If you want to talk
> about smooth animations and synchronoizing to vblank, it would
> probably be good for GPeriodic, Clutter and GTK+ to specify what
> people should and shouldn't be doing in the "GUI Thread".... I know a
> lot of it is obvious to people on this list but it never hurts to
> write it down anyway.

just a footnote: this is all start to sound quite a like JACK:

    * regularly scheduled updates, driven by h/w or system timer: check
    * clients that might take too long to do their updates: check
    * clients with other tasks than just the updates, which must also
complete: check
    * important to not lock up whole system when update cycle takes
too long: check
    * specific set of things that should not be done from within an
update: check, probably

i don't know that JACK's architecture has anything in particular to
offer here, other than the somewhat pleasing convergence of design
ideas. it always seemed to me that X's network transparency's worst
(and possibly only bad) side effect was to decouple basic conceptions
about the internals of a GUI toolkit from the reality of display
hardware.