Re: Doubts about GPeriodic
- From: Havoc Pennington <hp pobox com>
- To: Ryan Lortie <desrt desrt ca>
- Cc: Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com>, gtk-devel-list gnome org
- Subject: Re: Doubts about GPeriodic
- Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 08:17:12 -0400
On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 5:46 AM, Ryan Lortie <desrt desrt ca> wrote:
> What about non-input events, though? Like, if some download is
> happening and packets are coming in and causing dispatches from the
> mainloop that we do not have control over.
I brought this up a bit in the earlier thread.
My takeaway is that for I/O type stuff you usually want what we ended
up with at litl, which is to limit it to some length of time per
frame. Unfortunately GMainLoop has no native way to do that. I
described our solution a bit in the old paint clock thread.
There's a danger both of some random download starving animation and
of your download spinner starving the download.
] [Thread Prev