Re: Ige-mac-integration: New version with Cocoa interface available.

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 4:15 PM, Paul Davis <paul linuxaudiosystems com> wrote:

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 3:55 PM, Colin Walters <walters verbum org> wrote:
Oh, one thing I really need from OS X porters (and win32 for that
matter) is a solid recommendation for an application identifier
string.  GApplication needs this for uniqueness, and GSettings
requires one too.

Probably the biggest question here is whether the application
identifier is platform-independent (i.e. every app picks
org.example.MyApp), or we suggest people use a uuid on windows, etc.

LaunchServices provides a unique app ID to the app as part of argv. Its pretty ugly, actually. I think there are also ways to ask LaunchServices for your ID, but I have yet to see or understand the reason why the app itself needs it. None of this answers the question of what the "application identifier" really means.

Ah, forget all that nonsense. Its all true, but its about a different kind of identifier.

OS X has a somewhat deeper problem in that if LaunchServices isn't used to start your app, then it has no identifier as far as the rest of the system is concerned. Ie.  if you have some way to start if from a command line, that instance doesn't exist as far as the desktop is concerned. One might consider this a non-issue, and I'm not necessarily going to disagree with you.