From: Stormy Peters <stormy gnome org>
Date: Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 6:11 AM
Subject: What would you do to encourage application developers on GNOME Mobile?
To: GNOME Mobile <mobile-devel-list gnome org>

Nokia recently approved a budget for the GNOME Foundation to encourage GNOME applications on Maemo 5 and MeeGo. We have around $50,000. In Maemo 5 and MeeGo, GTK+ is "community supported". This funding is to help us to encourage and ensure that happens in the best way possible.

What would you do with that budget to encourage more application developers to choose GTK+ for mobile development and to ensure those applications run on MeeGo?

There are a number of different approaches we could take and I'd like to hear the community's opinion.

Some that have come up:

* Pay a consulting company to make sure GTK+ apps run well on Maemo/MeeGo.
* Buy devices to hand out to developers.
* Invest in GTK+ documentation for developers.
* Invest in marketing/events.
* Provide bounties for GTK+ mobile applications. (Have a list of things we need or need improved like multitouch.)
* Create documentation for how to port GTK+ apps to Maemo/MeeGo (if needed.)
* Have a GTK+ mobile application contest.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Stormy