Re: impending gdbus merge

On Thu, 2010-05-06 at 14:06 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:

> I thought I should let everybody know that we are getting very close
> to merging gdbus into GLib. David has created a gdbus-merge branch
> where we'll stage things before the final merge to master. So, if you
> haven't payed attention to gdbus yet, or haven't looked at it in a
> while, gdbus-merge is the branch to watch in the next few days.

I'm a downstream packager, figured this is a good time to ask some
questions about gdbus relates to existing dbus daemon and library
packages based on freedesktop sources.

Seems like gio implements the dbus protocol in gio directly and does
not sit on top of the actual dbus libs (except 'make check' self-test)
but is compatible? I don't see a daemon in glib though, so do I still
need the dbus daemon itself and associated programs from the
freedesktop dbus distro (a libgio-shlibs:Depends:dbus-daemon
dependency for example)? And therefore everything shares the same
system and session busses (and clients can talk to each other on the
same bus regardless of which client lib they use)?

Should I consider gbdus-tool a developer item (in libgio-dev, along
with headers and other compile-time files) or a separate end-user item
(useful for systems at runtime)?

dan

--
Daniel Macks