Re: impending gdbus merge

On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 9:37 PM, Shaun McCance <shaunm gnome org> wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-05-06 at 14:06 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
>> Hey,
>>
>> I thought I should let everybody know that we are getting very close
>> to merging gdbus into GLib. David has created a gdbus-merge branch
>> where we'll stage things before the final merge to master. So, if you
>> haven't payed attention to gdbus yet, or haven't looked at it in a
>> while, gdbus-merge is the branch to watch in the next few days.
>
> Some initial thoughts, after partially porting Yelp:

Hey, thanks for doing that. Greatly appreciated.

> * Convenience APIs for invoking methods using varargs would
> be nice, automatically handling the GVariant stuff. See for
> example g_settings_set.

This I can answer. You can use the floating ref of variants to embed
the g_variant_new call directly in the method invocation (and not
worry about unreffing it later):

 value = g_dbus_connection_invoke_method_sync (connection,
                                        NULL, /* bus_name */
                                        "/org/gtk/GDBus/TestObject",
                                        "org.gtk.GDBus.TestPeerInterface",
                                        "HelloWorld",
                                        g_variant_new ("(s)", greeting),
                                        G_DBUS_INVOKE_METHOD_FLAGS_NONE,
                                         -1,
                                         NULL,
                                         &error);

I think this was David's argument for not having varargs variants.

Matthias