Re: Why is GCompletion deprecated

On Mon, 2010-06-28 at 15:26 +0200, Xavier Claessens wrote:

> 1) I can think a bazillion of UIs that do/should have completion.

the fact that nobody implemented them using GCompletion should give a
hint that: a) this is not a shared opinion and b) it probably wasn't
possible with GCompletion.

>  Maybe
> they can do that completion with something else than GCompletion, but
> then the deprecation warning in the gtk-doc should point to that other
> API. Probably GtkEntryCompletion is useful here, but can it be used with
> editable GtkTextView (what empathy uses to write IM)?

please, come up with a better API; since I very much doubt you can fix
GCompletion to actually be useful for everyone, it would still require a
deprecation of the GCompletion API.

> 2) If all unmaintained code should be deprecated with no replacement,
> what do we have left in glib/gtk? Probably not that much...

that is patently an hyperbole, and it's patently untrue. the deprecated
code has been dropped from gtk+ 3.x and we still have a huge API
footprint.

> Surely good reasons where discussed with the community before
> deprecating the API, but I didn't find public discussion. If I missed
> it, please just give me the link ;-)

I seem to have lost the memo requiring public discussion with the
community for a maintainership decision. probably my bad. can you point
me to it?

ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--