Re: [pygtk] PyGtk and gtk-3.0 compatibility

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 4:03 AM, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu sugarlabs org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 15:48, John Stowers <john stowers lists gmail com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> First of all, PyGI and GObject introspection is the way forward.
>>
>> Now, that being said, it seems a little silly to spend all this effort
>> porting C apps in GNOME to gtk-3.0 only to see the first PyGtk app drag
>> back in the gtk-2.0 libraries with "import gtk".
>>
>> So I spent a little time trying to get PyGtk to build with GSEAL. Turns
>> out it wasn't that hard [1][2].
>>
>> Only a few accessors were missing
>>  * GtkWindow.has_user_ref_count
>>  * GtkInvisible.has_user_ref_count
>>    These both are used in the sink funcs, and seem to be a synonym
>>    for checking the object has not been destroyed.
>>  * gtk_menu_get_position_func{,_data}
>>
>> So, what is the opinion on this? Is it worth me continuing? My idea
>> would be to make *only one* PyGtk release that builds against gtk-3.0,
>> it would see no new features.
>
> Sounds like a good idea to me, given how much PyGTK application
> authors seem to lag behind platform changes.
>
> That said, I think distros should focus on moving to introspection
> because it allows them to drop maintenance of a lot of packages. But
> anything that makes this move easier for people is important.

I've trying to get a handle on PyGI for a while now, but I'm still in
a bit of a fog.  I've worked on some PyGTK apps so understand that OK,
but what I'm really looking for are answers to questions like:

1. What problem is PyGI trying to solve?
2. What advantage will I see by using PyGI over PyGTK?
3. How do I port my application from PyGTK to PyGI?