Re: right click *in* a menu

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 2:44 AM, Martin Nordholts <enselic gmail com> wrote:

> The problem to be solved is not "How do we modify GTK+ to make it as easy as
> possible to invoke nested menu items several times in a row in Ardour", but
> "How can we redesign the Ardour UI so users don't have to invoke nested menu
> items several times in a row to use the software".

This is an overly focused and specialized view of the question.

The major distinction between a menu and a dialog is that menus
typically *do* close after a click, whereas dialogs generally require
a series of 0,.N clicks on possible action proxies, and then one or
more confirmative steps to actually close the dialog.

So the question is whether there is a place for menu semantics in
which only an umodified left click closes the menu, and some other
click still activates the item but leaves the menu open, OR whether
the claim is that any interaction with a presentation of a set of
multiple actions should be done via a dialog with an explicit close
operation.

We *could* push all the operations in the current region context menu,
for example (right click on a region -> Select region name -> menu
with 20+ items) into a dialog for that region, but it would 1 mouse
motion+drag or the use ctrl-w to every single action activation for
anything on that menu when you only do a single action.

--p