RE: Gtk-OSX (was: Website proposal for usability)

I am just a humble user of GTK, I have yet to develop the skills to contribute, but half way through the development of our app, we moved to OS X, from linux. Reason: Faster, better looking interface, much better looking chassis.

You tell'm John, and thanks for all the hard work to you and Kris.

I was using GTK on Linux, because there is nothing else. really. I have mentioned this before, GTK is a linux GUI, with SOME cross platform abilities (not for the faint of heart).

It only looks good native on Linux, because it is designed to be used with GNOME. It does not look good on Windows or OS X. I have sat days with users, applying all kinds of themes (half of which don't work), only to get the same block-ish look, on Windows and OS X.

There is a HUGE gap, between what is being touted on GTK's website, versus reality.

"GTK+, or the GIMP Toolkit, is a multi-platform toolkit for creating graphical user interfaces. Offering a complete set of widgets, GTK+ is suitable for projects ranging from small one-off tools to complete application suites." http://eboyjr.homelinux.org:8081/

The only platform that has a complete implementation is Linux. Windows has a lot of issues, and in OS X most of the imp are TODO TODO TODO. Without the help of GTK-OSX, I don't even know where I would be!

So I would certainly be supporting the work, not chiding them for telling the truth. If the point is indeed to be multi-platform offering a complete set of widgets, I would certainly be spending a great deal of effort looking at Quartz and some of the functionality it touts, and applying them backwardly to windowing systems that don't. I would also spend a good amount of time on another project that needs to be brought into the fold. GTKGLExt. Most of the OS X interface uses OpenGL now.

I would also make sure to point user to some place where they can quickly see a chart of widgets and functions, and what platforms they are complete, in progress, or TODO. This way, (as the archives will show) hapless programmers like me, will not leap to far before they get the truth.

Widget        OS X         Windows        Linux
 GtkWindow        60%            99%           100%
 GtkButton