[Fwd: Re: Wrapping Box Container]

Oops I sent this privately to Hans earlier without CCing the list.

-------- Forwarded Message --------
From: Tristan Van Berkom <tristanvb openismus com>
To: Hans Breuer <hans breuer org>
Subject: Re: Wrapping Box Container
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 11:53:53 +0900

On Tue, 2010-08-24 at 23:09 +0200, Hans Breuer wrote:
> At 24.08.2010 20:31, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 1:42 PM, Tristan Van Berkom
> > <tristanvb openismus com>  wrote:
> >> Hi developers,
> >>   Last week I was busy writing up a new container
> >> widget for GTK+ and would like to propose it for
> >> inclusion in 3.0.
> >
> > Hey, sounds like a useful addition. I've actually had it somewhere
> > deep on my todo list to look at a wrapbox implementation, now that we
> > have hfw. Thanks for doing this.
> >
> Without looking too much into the new details,
> what about finally integrating Tim Janik's work from 1999 ?
>
> See e.g.: http://git.gnome.org/browse/dia/tree/app/gtkwrapbox.h

Hi Hans,
   The main difference is that the "size-request" signal/vfunc
implemented by widgets is replaced by a more elaborate
height for width interface for requesting sizes of widgets:
    http://library.gnome.org/devel/gtk/2.90/GtkSizeRequest.html

meaning in the end the whole requesting/allocating bit needs
to be reconsidered anyway.

Actually the GtkSizeRequestIface somehow broke the GtkWrapBox
used internally in gimp iirc (with GTK+ git master I think its
a toolbar that fails to wrap)... my hope is that this container
can be a drop in replacement for these wrap boxes that might
be broken when running against GTK+ 3.0.

Cheers,
        -Tristan