Re: gtk_widget_draw()

On Mon, 16 Aug 2010, Alexander Larsson wrote:

> ----- "Benjamin Otte" <otte gnome org> wrote:
> >
> > Here's an email detailing my thought process for what I want to do
> > with rendering in the master branch following the rendering-cleanup
> > merge. It's mostly a brain dump, so treat it as such.
>
> So, I read this thread and thought about it a bit (not a lot though,
> obviously this whole thing needs a lot of careful thought). Its a
> complex area, and while I share your enthusiasm for many of the
> changes I think in some places it might oversimplify things.
>
> Anyway, lets start on a positive side with things where we are wildly
> in agreement.
>
> Getting rid of GdkPixmap seems like a good think. Its not used a lot
> in the current rendering-cleanup branch...

Wait a minute: "Not used a lot"(!)  App developers are in limbo
here.  Not so long ago we were told that if our apps compiled OK
with all the appropriate DISABLE_DEPRECATED flags with the latest
stable versions of the libraries (GTK and friends) we'd be fine
for GTK+ 3.

Then Benjamin came along with phase 1 of his GDK cleanup and that
seemed sensible, though not without problems for app developers.
I've now "cleaned up" my app so that it does not use GdkGC if GTK
is new enough. But my replacement code for GdkGC uses GdkPixmap --
and now we can't have that either?!

I think you guys need to call a halt somewhere on what you're
going to trash for GTK+ 3 if you want to have any apps that will
run on it.

--
Allin Cottrell
Department of Economics