Re: gtk_widget_draw()

On Mon, 2010-08-16 at 21:36 -0400, Allin Cottrell wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Aug 2010, Alexander Larsson wrote:
>
> > ----- "Benjamin Otte" <otte gnome org> wrote:
> > >
> > > Here's an email detailing my thought process for what I want to do
> > > with rendering in the master branch following the rendering-cleanup
> > > merge. It's mostly a brain dump, so treat it as such.
> >
> > So, I read this thread and thought about it a bit (not a lot though,
> > obviously this whole thing needs a lot of careful thought). Its a
> > complex area, and while I share your enthusiasm for many of the
> > changes I think in some places it might oversimplify things.
> >
> > Anyway, lets start on a positive side with things where we are wildly
> > in agreement.
> >
> > Getting rid of GdkPixmap seems like a good think. Its not used a lot
> > in the current rendering-cleanup branch...
>
> Wait a minute: "Not used a lot"(!)  App developers are in limbo
> here.  Not so long ago we were told that if our apps compiled OK
> with all the appropriate DISABLE_DEPRECATED flags with the latest
> stable versions of the libraries (GTK and friends) we'd be fine
> for GTK+ 3.

There will be a new gtk 2.x release with all the stuff being removed in
gtk3 being deprecated, and it will have any required new functions
added, like gdk_window_create_similar_surface() which can be used to
create offscreen cairo surfaces to be used as GdkPixmap replacement.

> Then Benjamin came along with phase 1 of his GDK cleanup and that
> seemed sensible, though not without problems for app developers.
> I've now "cleaned up" my app so that it does not use GdkGC if GTK
> is new enough. But my replacement code for GdkGC uses GdkPixmap --
> and now we can't have that either?!

Switching from GdkPixmap to using a cairo x surface is not a large
change though. Its mainly in how you construct it. The actual use of it
is almost all the same.

       alexl redhat com            alexander larsson gmail com
He's a fiendish coffee-fuelled shaman haunted by an iconic dead American
confidante She's an elegant mute cab driver descended from a line of powerful
witches. They fight crime!