Re: Website proposal for usability

2010/8/12 Martyn Russell <martyn lanedo com>:
> On Thu, 2010-08-12 at 15:28 +0200, Javier Jardón wrote:
>> 2010/8/12 Martyn Russell <martyn lanedo com>:
>> > I like some of the proposed changes here. There are some other things
>> > that I think need changing (which were there before) such as the NEWS on
>> > the main page. It just doesn't get updated enough.
>>
>> I'd suggest to use the identi.ca [1] / twitter [2] acount for more
>> up-to date info.
>> Maybe in a separate section in the main page?
>>
>> BTW, Thanks for your work on this Devin.
>>
>> [1] http://identi.ca/gtktoolkit/
>> [2] http://twitter.com/GTKtoolkit
>
> I think these are excellent ideas. This is exactly what we need I would
> say. Devin, this is precisely what should be in the grey box in the top
> right, the last 10 tweets for example. People can then see what is
> "current" at least.

Okay I used the Twitter API to access the news feed with a custom php
class. I also have it cached in a file called 'micronews.cache.json'
(for 12 hours), so it's very speedy. At the bottom of the News Feed
section, I put links to follow the GTK+ project on Twitter and
identi.ca so people can follow on whichever account they have. The
reason I used the Twitter api was because 1) I'm more familiar with
it, and 2) I noticed all identi.ca posts were being mirrored on
Twitter's account along with other post which were not.

However I noticed there is a ton of space on the home page now, so we
either have to limit the number of posts to view to about 3, or add
more content on the home page. Maybe screenshots? I'm not sure.