Re: Minutes of the GTK+ team GUADEC meeting - 2010-07-29

Hi!,

> On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 12:25 PM, Martyn Russell <martyn lanedo com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > These are the notes taken based on our meeting at GUADEC last week.
>
> Thanks for these notes, Martyn.
>
> > • Hackfest
> >  ∘ Planned for October w22 (18th-22nd)
>
> I will try to make it this time, for a change. Are the dates final yet ?
>

> > • Release for GTK+ 3.0 delayed until Christmas
> >  ∘ Feature freeze around November
> >
> > • Release for GLib planned by late August
>
> Did outstanding work for GLib 2.26 get discussed ? I am only aware of
> the datetime work, anything else ?
>
> I assume we also need a GTK+ 2.22 release in time for Gnome 2.32. Do
> the changed timelines affect our 2.22 plans in any way ?
>
> > • Review needed of Benjamin's 'rendering-cleanup' branch:
> >  ∘ Recommended that owen/mclasen/timj take a look
>
> I'll put this on my list for this week.
>
> > • Review needed of animation branch for consideration in GTK+ 3.0
> >  ∘ Should be aligned vaguely at least to the Clutter APIs
> >
> > • Review needed of Carlos' style branch
> >  ∘ Some work needed in porting existing themes
> >  ∘ Possibly work required with existing animated widgets:
> >    ‣ GtkExpander
> >    ‣ GtkSpinner
>
> GtkToolbar also has some animation in it.

This is rather about gtk_paint_expander/spinner(), these functions are
quite explicit on the state of the element being painted, and I'm
working on having implicit animations for state changes, so widgets
ideally just notify on some state being changed, and theming engines
just check the progress for such state when painting.

I'm also coalescing the meanings of GtkStateType and GtkShadowType
wherever it makes sense, the latter is gone in the newer gtk_render_*
functions, and the former is mostly replaced with GtkStateFlags, ATM
only used for theming purposes.

I think the best option here is to have these GtkStyle vmethods just use
the older code, and hurry up in using the replacements for these 2
functions within GTK+.

Cheers,
  Carlos