Re: Minutes of the GTK+ Team Meeting - 2010-03-23

On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 7:00 AM, Matthias Clasen
<matthias clasen gmail com> wrote:
> I have also started to look at the xi2 work of Carlos and got a very
> positive first impression. One thing I am a bit worried about is that
> we don't want to let our other backends fall further behind. I hear
> that Kris has patches implementing the new Device framework for the
> Quartz backend, but we need to at least have 0-level dummy
> implementation for the directfb and win32 backends.

That's correct, I have patches that "port" the Quartz backend to these
new Xi2 interfaces.  I have sent this patch to Carlos a while back for
some sanity checking.  Depending on at which point in time the xi2
branch will merge with master, we either commit the Quartz patch in
the xi2 branch or in the master branch after the xi2 branch has been
merged.

Be aware that a dummy implementation will not consist of only adding a
number of empty stub functions unfortunately...  I think the patch I
wrote for the Quartz backend can be used as a guide to update the
other backends.

I think what is still important to be done in the Xi2 branch is
figuring out some semantics.  Carlos has done most of this work on a
MPX powered X server where the multiple pointers always exist and are
always query-able.  I have been looking into implementing support for
the multitouch trackpads found on recent Apple laptops into the Quartz
backend with the Xi2 interfaces, but here the semantics are different
(additional pointers only become active when additional fingers are
placed on the trackpad) which caused some trouble.  Most worrisome is
that in this case the applications had to be changed.  If we could
find a way to bring such issues to a more abstract, generic level, so
that the applications don't need changes, I think that would be great.

regards,

-kris.