Re: GVariant support for Unix fds (Was Re: GDBus/GVariant plans for next GLib release)

On Wed, 2009-11-11 at 10:42 -0500, Ryan Lortie wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-11-11 at 09:31 -0500, David Zeuthen wrote:
> > Should probably define an abstract GDBusHandleSet interface and then
> > have a concrete GDBusUnixFdSet class (and possibly a GDBusWin32HandleSet
> > too) implement it.
>
> I'm not totally sure that this makes sense.  The support that exists in
> DBus is *very* specific to unix file descriptors (the type is even
> called 'UNIX_FD').  I'm not sure that it will ever support passing win32
> handles in the same way...
>
> Maybe we should ask upstream about their intentions?

When the feature was discussed on dbus-list, this did come up. That's
why the type 'h' (for handle) was chosen. And as Tor said, passing
HANDLEs on Win32 is indeed possible.

I'm not sure why you think it's a problem to add an abstract interface
so things are future proof.

Cheers,
David