Re: Cairo based engine api for GTK+ 3.0

On Jul 13, 2009, at 12:57 AM, Thomas Wood wrote:

On Thu, 2009-06-18 at 22:45 +0100, Chris Wilson wrote:
On Thu, 2009-06-18 at 22:35 +0100, Thomas Wood wrote:
Thanks Chris. Obviously once the API is converted to pass in cairo
contexts, the context creation/destruction will happen outside of the
drawing functions.

That's a relief. I was thinking to myself that it was a good job I'd
just managed to eliminate some overhead from cairo_create()... :-)

Just a little up date on this; I've pushed a commit that changes the
gtk_paint_* API to take a cairo context rather than a GdkWindow. This
clearly breaks all widgets and so although it compiles, it won't run in
any shape or form.

Having given this a little further thought, it is clearly unfeasible to introduce these type of changes into GTK+ in such a way. Therefore, I'm going to concentrate my efforts on creating a new project with the goal of providing a separated widget drawing API which toolkits such as GTK+ can use. This is largely based on ideas in this e-mail from Owen: http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome- themes-list/2008-July/msg00017.html

Regards,

Thomas