Re: the 2.18 endgame

On Fri, 2009-07-10 at 10:45 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> GTK+ 2.90:
>  - Outstanding GSEAL issues have not been resolved. bratsche spent
> some time on it,  but gave up for lack of feedback
>
> Here is my proposal:
> - If people still want to do a 2.90 release in parallel with 2.18, now
> is the time to step forward and finish the GSEAL work

Mitch said he has almost gotten GIMP compiling with GSEAL, minus about
~10 missing functions.  So this is actually not quite as far off as it
seemed before.  The big missing thing at the moment is new API for
widget->allocation and widget->requisition, which I will try to push for
resolution on soon.

The issue with these two was whether the getter should return by value
or return by reference.  So my plan for this is:
  1/ fix up a couple issues in the code rewriter
  2/ create new API patches for get-by-ref and get-by-value and get BOTH
reviewed by whoever (mitch offered to review)
  3/ Use the code rewriter to generate two different patches for gtk+,
one for each API style
  4/ Post them both and let the bloodbath commence :-)

Unless whoever will be making the decision wants to come forward and say
which version of the API we're using, then that would save some time.

/ Cody