Re: gtk+ documentation wikified

On Fri, 2009-02-20 at 10:37 +0000, Alberto Ruiz wrote:
> 2009/2/20 Maciej Piechotka <uzytkownik2 gmail com>:
> > Eugene Gorodinsky <e gorodinsky gmail com> writes:
> >
> >> Hi all
> >>
> >> Since you guys are discussing the redesign of the gtk+ website, I'd
> >> like to propose an idea that I have. I've seen quite a lot of comments
> >> saying gtk+ documentation isn't as good as qt's. What do you think of
> >> having a wiki that documents all of gtk+ api?
> >
> > I'm not sure but I guess that it would be possible to integrate it
> > somehow with SVN(or, even better, git/bzr/...). The wiki syntax could be
> > translated into gtkdoc.
>
> Gtkdocs are stored in the source code headers,

BTW - this idea, which I personally like, is not common. Gtk-doc
comments are usually placed in source files. The exception is for
example webkit-gtk (or at least used to be).

> that helps developers
> to keep documentation up to date.
> That means that pushing documentation upstream is not possible.
>
> What we could do is to have a queue of contributions/feedback and
> notify the module maintainer about it.

I never thought about pushing it into trunk directly. Next paragraph of my mail is:
"With svn: The developer/maintainer of wiki could download wiki syntax as
a patch, apply it and commit."

And the merging usually is quite possible:
- Find symbol before which there is comment started by /** (or any other
- Insert the generated doc/update it/...
- Diff with previous
In some cases it will need to be handled manually - but I guess that in 99% it will not.

Regards