Re: client-side-windows vs metacity

On Sun, 2009-02-01 at 02:10 +0000, Iain * wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 7:46 AM, Alexander Larsson <alexl redhat com> wrote:
> > On Fri, 2009-01-30 at 14:47 -0500, Morten Welinder wrote:
> >> What about other window managers?  It would be sad to see gtk+
> >> tied directly to a given window manager.
> >

> > What about them? Only window managers that use gdk are affected, and I
> > don't know any other than metacity. Are you thinking about some specific
> > window manager?
> >
> > And how would Gtk+ be tied to a given window manager? Its the other way
> > around, a particular window manager (metacity) is tied to gtk+.
>
> It may be that Morten thinks that by client side windows you mean the
> clients are drawing the window manager borders
> Whereas I believe by client side windows you mean client that GTK is
> not using X windows except for the toplevel window
> Does this help the confusion?

To complicate further i use client it two senses in the mail.

Client-side-windows means that gdk windows are client side (==app)
instead of server side (==xserver).

Metacity is also using gtk with client-side windows, however in my mail
I talk about client window in metacity frames, refering to the *other*
xserver clients toplevel windows that gets remapped into metacitys frame
window.

Confusion, thats my middle name.