Re: Pango CoreText/ATSUI (was:Intricate changes to Quartz/OSX backend)

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 6:48 PM, Paul Davis <paul linuxaudiosystems com> wrote:
>> Yea, a configure thing was my plan for supporting Tiger and Leopard.  Good
>> to know that you agree with that :)  I will look into fixing up that patch
>> this week.
>
> Did anything ever happen with this?

Coincidentally, I had the time to look into this today (Christmas
holidays :).  I have completely reworked the patch, actually fully
removing the CoreText calls.  This removes the need for a nasty
configure thing and HAVE_CORETEXT macros for now.  Both Tiger and
(Snow) Leopard now use ATS calls in the ATSUI backend.  I have just
pushed the commit to Pango's master branch:

http://git.gnome.org/browse/pango/commit/?id=0f06d7758bc37a4942342d2c17a88944cbc88adb

Of course it is known that ATS has been deprecated in Mac OS Leopard.
Just adding some CoreText calls to the ATSUI backend is not the proper
way to solve this.  (Since all other parts still do deprecated ATS
calls).  In the very near feature, we will have to write a proper
CoreText backend for Pango from scratch.  But for now, usage of ATS
will suffice on all platforms.

regards,

-kris.