Re: Proposal: Deprecate tab-pack child property in notebook for 2.18

Am Mon, 24 Aug 2009 17:29:18 +0200
schrieb Carlos Garnacho <carlosg gnome org>:

> Hi!
>
> On lun, 2009-08-24 at 14:34 +0100, Alberto Ruiz wrote:
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > as you may know, the notebook implementation is a bit of a
> > nightmare, most of its problems comes from the fact that it allows
> > packstart/end on its notebook tabs. I don't think I've ever seen
> > this being used in any Gtk+ app (or in any other toolkit fwiw), and
> > for those out there using it, they deserve no mercy.
> >
> > So my proposal is to deprecate this child property for the 2.x
> > series, so that we can get rid of it by 3.0, (meaning 2.18?).
> >
> > This would allow a long overdue cleanup in the notebook codebase and
> > make it more manageable to include other features (tab sliding
> > animations ala Google Chrome as an example?)
>
> I quite agree here, I remember Xan complained about the cyclomatic
> complexity of the notebook [1] between others, which means it's
> insanely hard to get anything done on the notebook layout/rendering
> that covers all possible cases.
>
> Other sources for this complexity are ltr/rtl and scrollable tabs, of
> course we can't get rid of that but IMHO tab-pack is quite senseless
> and deprecating it will help removing a lot of cruft in the future.
>
> [1]
> http://blogs.gnome.org/xan/2007/10/25/the-cyclomatic-horror-from-outer-space/

Don't forget gtk_notebook_set_tab_label_packing () and
gtk_notebook_query_tab_label_packing ().

For what I want, secondary tab labels in a notebook are as odd as
right-aligned menu items. Go for it!

ciao,
    Christian