Re: Proposal: Deprecate tab-pack child property in notebook for 2.18

Hi!

On lun, 2009-08-24 at 14:34 +0100, Alberto Ruiz wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> as you may know, the notebook implementation is a bit of a nightmare,
> most of its problems comes from the fact that it allows packstart/end
> on its notebook tabs. I don't think I've ever seen this being used in
> any Gtk+ app (or in any other toolkit fwiw), and for those out there
> using it, they deserve no mercy.
>
> So my proposal is to deprecate this child property for the 2.x series,
> so that we can get rid of it by 3.0, (meaning 2.18?).
>
> This would allow a long overdue cleanup in the notebook codebase and
> make it more manageable to include other features (tab sliding
> animations ala Google Chrome as an example?)

I quite agree here, I remember Xan complained about the cyclomatic
complexity of the notebook [1] between others, which means it's insanely
hard to get anything done on the notebook layout/rendering that covers
all possible cases.

Other sources for this complexity are ltr/rtl and scrollable tabs, of
course we can't get rid of that but IMHO tab-pack is quite senseless and
deprecating it will help removing a lot of cruft in the future.

[1] http://blogs.gnome.org/xan/2007/10/25/the-cyclomatic-horror-from-outer-space/