Re: Notes and thoughts on the GTK+ meeting at GUADEC

On Wed, 2009-08-19 at 22:42 +0100, Thomas Wood wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-08-14 at 12:40 +0100, Alberto Ruiz wrote:
> > There's the issue of CSS though. Would it be acceptable to deprecate
> > gtkrc's in the middle of the 3.0 cycle in favor of CSS theming files?
> > This is an area where I'm pretty much blind, prolly Robert Staudinger
> > has a better picture than me here, Robert?

Moving in the middle of the 3.0 cycle will be quite some pain.

What is needed is a GtkStyle class that emulates the most important
parts of the old API. But there are quite some corner cases that would
likely break. These could be caused by not having the fixed colour array
that we have today. But there are two main issues that I see:
 1. Applications that use gtk_rc_parse_*
 2. Style Properties. Applications that have custom and use GTK+ ones

The style properties could probably mapped into another format (and
emulated to some extend), to work around this, but parsing a snippet of
gtkrc and transforming it into a the new theme format will likely be
very hard.

> My experience with using CSS in NBTK (a clutter based UI toolkit we are
> using for Moblin) is that there are advantages and disadvantages. There
> are some quite serious limitations, such as the lack of selectors based
> on class hierarchy. One also has to consider that CSS itself does not
> provide any drawing capabilities (I am aware of efforts to provide this,
> but I am not yet convinced on their long term suitability). However,
> there is certainly a lot we can take from its design and I've
> incorporated much of that into my own design.

Hm, the class hierarchy is an interesting point. We need to discuss how
to best represent that, as it is quite important in many cases.

Benjamin