Re: glib on Symbian

2008/9/5 Behdad Esfahbod <behdad behdad org>:
> sparkymat wrote:
>> We are doing what you have mentioned above, i.e. defining name of global
>> variables as function calls returning a pointer.
>
> So, this limitation is *only* for the simulator, not the actual Symbian
> running on mobile hardware, right?

Wrong. Symbian does not support static data in DLL:s in all versions out there:

http://developer.symbian.com/main/downloads/papers/static_data/SupportForWriteableStaticDataInDLLsv1.1.pdf

I'm not that familiar with symbian development, or the symbian device
landscape, but those who are could give their view on whether it makes
any sense to only support the versions that do have static data for
DLL:s in upstream glib and the rest as for example a branch.

While Tor's suggestion wasn't totally awkward for developers and might
even have other benefits (eg. for debugging), changing 2000 LOCs just
to get symbian in sounds like a bit of a stretch.

--
Kalle Vahlman, zuh iki fi