Re: Placing on desktops (was: Theme patriation)

Ysgrifennodd Tim Evans:
> So in theory identifying "the same" window is a solved problem, but do many
> applications actually set the window role?

gtk_window_set_role() sets WM_WINDOW_ROLE, which is defined in ICCCM
sec. 5.1: http://tronche.com/gui/x/icccm/sec-5.html . It's supposed to
be used as an override of WM_CLASS (which I mentioned earlier) and
WM_NAME (i.e. the title of the window) in case you have several windows
with the same WM_CLASS and WM_NAME.

In other words, it's just what we want, but you can see it's not the
most widely used function ever:

http://www.google.com/codesearch?q=gtk_window_set_role+-package%3Agtk%2B

I'll make a list of the worst offenders on the Metacity blog.  Perhaps
we need a Gnome Goal to encourage its use.

peace

Thomas

--
Thomas Thurman, tthurman at gnome, http://blogs.gnome.org/tthurman