Re: Minutes of the GTK+ Team IRC meeting - 2008-05-13

2008/5/14 Emmanuele Bassi <ebassi gmail com>:
On Wed, 2008-05-14 at 22:15 +0300, Stefan Kost wrote:

> > * rework the gobject tutorial
> > - it is old and unmaintained
> > - the signals section is broken
> > - teaches bad practises
>
> I can go over it. Please send me pointers to what you want to have changed. From
> my own todo list:

- the signals section is wrong on various levels that should require a
complete rewrite.

- storing signal ids inside the class structure is wrong; if a subclass
needs to emit a signal defined by its parent class, then it should call
g_signal_emit_by_name().

- the example of using signals to write a buffer to disk is utterly
wrong; it's a nice way of demonstrating overriding a virtual function,
not of using signals.

- the examples are inconsistent in the coding style, with obvious errors
due to copy and pasting from different sources. and please, let's drop
the MAMAN thing: only french-speaking people will get the reference; for
everyone else it's not different than calling the classes 'foo' and
'bar' - which, at least, would be an inside joke.

A humble request - if someone does a rewrite of the tutorial please use real world metaphors with obvious relations instead of abstract sizes like Foo and Bar. I always forget which one is parent and which one is child. Fx, Car and SportsCar or what ever. It is my experience that this approach is much more pedagogical.

Cheers,
Mikkel