Re: Move to LGPL3

Am Montag, den 17.03.2008, 00:31 +0100 schrieb Mathias Hasselmann:
> I am really wondering what's the reason for FSF claiming, that
> programs
> licenced GPL-2 only are not allowed to use LGPL-3 libraries. The LGPL-3
> allows non-free, proprietary programs to use LGPL-3 libraries, but
> excludes free software, licensed GPL-2 only? This sounds absurd to me!
>
> Is the FSF spreading FUD with their license matrix? Why doesn't the
> matrix have footnotes explaining that absurd conflict?

Ok, it is not FUD. It seems the problem is, that LGPLv3 imposes
additional restrictions not found in the GPLv2. So it isn't the LGPLv3
that forbids LGPLv3 libraries to be used by GPLv2-only programs. It is
the GPLv2 which forbids to linking against libraries more restrictive
than itself.

See http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/gpl-faq.html#v2v3Compatibility
for details.

In theory LGPLv3 allows addition of exceptions, but they have to be
approved by all copyright holders. Doubt this will happen. So only
chance for upgrading to a new version of the LGPL is waiting for an FSF
approved version of the LGPL, which drops those additional restrictions
for GPLv2-only programs.

Total insanity...

Ciao,
Mathias
--
Mathias Hasselmann <mathias hasselmann gmx de>
Openismus GmbH: http://www.openismus.com/