Re: About GTK+ 3.0 and deprecated things

Hi,

Am Mittwoch, den 16.07.2008, 18:08 -0400 schrieb Paul Davis:
> On Wed, 2008-07-16 at 16:51 -0400, Morten Welinder wrote:
> i totally agree with those who are arguing against the current notion of
> what GTK3 should be. i haven't seen any evidence that any of the
> problems that our developers face with GTK are going to be easier to
> address after the proposals for 3.0 are complete, with the possible
> exception of themeing. it is suggested that once G_SEAL etc. is
> complete, it will become easier to "fix the problems". i've mentioned
> our problems before ... once again, none of the people working on GTK
> have ever said to me "oh, once 3.0 is done that will be much easier to
> fix". the closest might be kris' refusal to look at the treeview DnD
> situation in 2.X because he has a completely new implementation of the
> entire widget (family) waiting in the wings. does this need G_SEAL to
> make it work?

Paul, just in case this wasn't made clear enough already; the GTK+ team
want to deploy a GTK+3 that will be API-compatible to the latest GTK+2
including all deprecation flags that are there (disable deprecated,
multihead safe, single header include, etc.).

There are these simple things you can do to get your app easily 3.0
compatible:

1. make sure your application compiles with these flags
2. if you use deprecated/considered-broken widgets/classes, copy them
into your project and change the namespace from gtk to your project's
namespace.

After that, everything should be fine. Plus I heard rumors about some
refactoring tools being developed so we (app developers) can easily get
our code compatible for 3.0.

The reference counting pains and the GtkArgs removal etc. were a REAL
pain (compared to the points above), also adding lots of new code. But
with GTK+3, there are no evil changes like this queued.

Regards,
  Sven