Re: About GTK+ 3.0 and deprecated things

On Wed, 2008-07-16 at 16:51 -0400, Morten Welinder wrote:

> PS: For whatever it's worth, GnuCash also took years to go gtk2.

and in case i didn't make it clear enough early, Ardour also. we had the
exact same set of issues as mentioned by morten and colin. some of the
2yr period, though, was caused by us expanding our idea of what we could
do with the toolkit, so its not entirely fair to blame GTK2 for the
entire time.

i totally agree with those who are arguing against the current notion of
what GTK3 should be. i haven't seen any evidence that any of the
problems that our developers face with GTK are going to be easier to
address after the proposals for 3.0 are complete, with the possible
exception of themeing. it is suggested that once G_SEAL etc. is
complete, it will become easier to "fix the problems". i've mentioned
our problems before ... once again, none of the people working on GTK
have ever said to me "oh, once 3.0 is done that will be much easier to
fix". the closest might be kris' refusal to look at the treeview DnD
situation in 2.X because he has a completely new implementation of the
entire widget (family) waiting in the wings. does this need G_SEAL to
make it work?

i would much rather see a version of GTK that makes real progress toward
solving the actual problems faced by its current users (and developers),
rather than making theoretical progress towards future problems that
might be faced down the road. and in fact, to be honest the biggest
issues we have with GTK right now don't even come from any forward
progress, but from the fact that we're trying to get gtk/quartz
stabilized and usable.