Re: What does your personal GTK+ development system consist of?

Wade Renzi wrote:
--- Simos Xenitellis <simos lists googlemail com>
wrote:

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 8:40 PM, Mikkel Kamstrup
Erlandsen
<mikkel kamstrup gmail com> wrote:

Kamstrup Erlandsen wrote:

 >  > > Use jhbuild and install everything in a
different location, like with

http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/jhbuild
 >  >
 >  > Personally I would not recommend jhbuild.
I've used it a good handful
 >  > times always without success.
 >

 > your failures are of no consequence about the
goodness of a tool -
 >  unless you obviously circumstantiate those
failures with actual bug
 >  reports.
 >
 >  I commonly use jhbuild for projects in and
outsite the platform, and
 >  I've been doing so in the past few years; so I
fully support the
 >  original reply: jhbuild is the correct way to
develop with checkouts of
 >  gtk+, and in general the whole GNOME platform,
without screwing up your
 >  machine.

 I did not intend to bash jhbuild. My problems has
been with the builds
 of the Gnome stack.

 Related to the question on just building gtk+,
I'll still stick with a
 plain ol' --prefix=/opt.
Then, you would also have to setup the environment
variables to use
the newly compiled GTK+. jhbuild can do this for
you, and you can use
the rest of libraries that come from your current
distribution. For
example, for simple gtk+ hacking, the workflow is

1. jhbuild build gtk+        (just 16 packages)
2. jhbuild shell           to get a shell with env
variables properly set.
3. now run your test program that is based on gtk+;
will use fresh
gtk+ library, the rest of the libraries come from
the system
4. hack gtk+, then type "make install" to refresh
your build with the
new changes (takes <15s on modern systems)
5. go to step 3.

Am I right in thinking their should be a jhbuildrc
file I can get hold of which I can use to get and
build gtk+, atk, cairo, pango, zlib, libpng and glib
from source? If so where would I find it?
The appropriate .jhbuildrc and the modulesets for GNOME come with JHBuild.
See
http://live.gnome.org/Jhbuild
and follow the full instructions for your distribution.
It's the moduleset that has instructions regarding the dependencies; you choose to build a package such as gtk+ and jhbuild will sort out for you what other packages are required.

Simos