Re: Units and resolution independence for gtk+

On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 6:08 AM, Behdad Esfahbod <behdad behdad org> wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-08-07 at 04:20 +0200, Soeren Sandmann wrote:
>> Behdad Esfahbod <behdad behdad org> writes:
>>
>> > Also, my only quick feedback is that you are hooking up on the font
>> > size, while you should instead hook on screen dpi.  Think of screen dpi
>> > as a global scaling factor, and font size is relative size of the fonts
>> > to the other elements.
>>
>> I'll repeat that making use of the physical size in the X Screen
>> structure is *BROKEN*. You don't want tiny fonts a projector, and you
>> don't want huge fonts on handheld.
>>
>> The number is meaningless without knowledge about the device type.
>
> Does s/screen dpi/scale factor/ make more sense to you?  Call it that.

Please, don't mess the "screen DPI" and "scaling factor"!  Bigger DPI
means that more pixels may be used for drawing some screen element or
character and, therefore, have more clever on-screen image in
comparison to the screens with lower DPI.

I don't try to say that you mess them indeed.  But I'm afraid of it...

--
Andrew W. Nosenko <andrew w nosenko gmail com>