Re: GTK+ Website Review

Murray Cumming wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-05-28 at 19:15 +0100, Martyn Russell wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Over the last few weeks, I have spent time putting together the new
>> website for gtk.org. I decided it would be easier to start from scratch
>> reusing the original content.
>>
>> I have put the new pages up here for review:
>>
>>   http://www.imendio.com/~martyn/gtk/
>>
>> The content is my primary interest, but if you have style queries or
>> comments they are also welcome.
> [snip]
>
> It's generally nice. Well done.
>
> For pages where you've gathered various miscellaneous stuff together,
> such as
> http://www.imendio.com/~martyn/gtk/features.html

I wouldn't say it was miscellaneous. The whole point of that page is to
summarise all the features that you might want to know about when
choosing a tool kit. Perhaps some parts need re-wording to make that
more obvious?

> I think some sub-menu would be useful. Otherwise people won't easily
> find information such as the list of language bindings.

Hmm, well, I personally am not a big fan of too many menus. I think
simplicity for the web pages is quite important here, and another menu
just adds clutter to a page which isn't actually that big anyway.

> More importantly, I'd rather not have "Gimp Toolkit" in the page
> heading. For me that's a bit like having "GNU Network Object Model
> Environment" on a GNOME page. It's not relevant, it's distracting, and
> it's a bit tacky. It's already mentioned on the About page.

This is true, and I would have gone for just GTK+ but it is awfully
short for a title. Perhaps something like "The GTK+ Project"?

Martyn