Newbie needs help: gtk_entry's stopped accepting key stroke entires

I developed a GTK+ app about 4 years ago that worked well. It was probably
built under GTK ~2.4 or 2.6. I just setup the latest version of Dev-Cpp
compiler with GTK 2.10. I recompiled the old source files. Everything works
fine except for one MAJOR thing: All of the gtk_entry textbox widgets will
not take characters entered via keyboard. Here is the behavior:

-- You can click in gtk_entry boxes and get a flashing insertion carat in
any of them
-- You can use the mouse to highlight 'gtk_entry_set_text' text in the boxes
or part of the text that is set into a field
-- You can drag-and-drop text with the mouse field-to-field -- and any
changed values are pulled later (e.g., a box has a '1' in it; you
drag-and-drop a '0' out of another field to that field, a '10' comes back
when the field is checked with a 'gtk_entry_get_text'
-- gtk_entry_set_editable (discontinued) and gtk_editable_set_editable have
no affect (true or false)
-- Fields seem to respond normally to other settings (e.g., they can be
enabled/disabled, made invisible/visible, etc.)
-- Other widgets in the window work perfectly: checkboxes, radiobuttons,
regular buttons

Everything about these fields is normal, except that no characters appear
when pressing any keys on the keyboard.

The field setup is pretty straightforward:

GtkWidget *CreateTextEntry(const char *s) {
	GtkWidget *w = gtk_entry_new();
	gtk_entry_set_text(GTK_ENTRY(w), s);
	//gtk_entry_set_editable(GTK_ENTRY(w), TRUE); //discontinued
	gtk_editable_set_editable(GTK_EDITABLE(w), TRUE);
	return w;
}

Am I missing some sort of new gtk_entry signal/keyboard hookup?

Is there something wrong with my old code for this window's events that
would let everything else work but not keyboard entries?

	gtk_widget_show_all(dialog);
	gtk_main();
	gtk_widget_destroy(dialog);
	while (gtk_events_pending()) gtk_main_iteration();
	return gGTKAnswer;

Or, is this going to be some sort of library/dll/compiler settings issue?

I'm STUCK!

Luke