Re: Getting GTK+ to work on the Mac

File Edit Options Buffers Tools Help
Wed, Mar 21, 2007 at 11:13:59AM -0600:  Michael L Torrie mangled some bits into this alignment:
> On Wed, 2007-03-21 at 14:22 +0100, Jeremiah Foster wrote:
> >
> > I have not been able to get GTK+ to build on my OS X 10.3.9 machine
> > with a PowerPC processor. I have posted to Imendio's hosted forum but there
> > currently appears to be a lack of developers using the forum, or at
> > least they are not currently active.
>
> Imendio's branch does not support 10.3 at all.  You have to have 10.4 to
> build it.  I hope this will change, but they can only devote resources
> to 10.4 at this time, unless some influx of volunteer developers occurs.
> I would dearly love to see GTK Quartz on 10.3, and would spend time on
> it if I could, but like everyone else, my time is limited.

I see. Too bad, but I understand the limited resources.

> > I would like to know if there are other resources on GTK+ and the Mac
> > that I do not know about.
>
> MacPorts and Fink both have GTK+ for 10.3 or newer, but require X11.

Right now I am using fink to install GTK+2 but it is failing. I am using
this web page as a resource: http://gtk2-perl.sourceforge.net/install/panther.html

One thing to note if someone else reads this post is that the above resource
should also mention that one needs to install the Glib-dev and Gtk+2-dev
packages with fink as well as the regular packages, otherwise you will get
warnings about GObject not being present.

> Something else you might want to talk about in your article is methods
> for deploying a GTK app in OS X.  For example, Gimp is available as a
> Mac app bundle.  It requires X11 still, but the app bundle launches it
> for you and also allows the gimp.app icon to receive file files via a
> drag and drop in the finder or on the doc, and associates Gimp with file
> types.  This makes Gimp, even though it's still running under X11 in
> this case, more of a "normal" mac app.

Good point, I will attempt to do that. I will have to dig into that somewhere,
perhaps a GIMP developer on this mailing list.

Regards,

        Jeremiah