Re: Getting GTK+ to work on the Mac

On Wed, 2007-03-21 at 14:22 +0100, Jeremiah Foster wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am writing an article for the O'Reilly Network on getting GTK+
> to work on Apple's OS X operating system. I am familiar with a number
> of resources, for example Imendio's web site and build script, and
> the pdf by Anders Carlsson which I am reading now.
>
> I have not been able to get GTK+ to build on my OS X 10.3.9 machine
> with a PowerPC processor. I have posted to Imendio's hosted forum but there
> currently appears to be a lack of developers using the forum, or at
> least they are not currently active.

Imendio's branch does not support 10.3 at all.  You have to have 10.4 to
build it.  I hope this will change, but they can only devote resources
to 10.4 at this time, unless some influx of volunteer developers occurs.
I would dearly love to see GTK Quartz on 10.3, and would spend time on
it if I could, but like everyone else, my time is limited.

> I would like to know if there are other resources on GTK+ and the Mac
> that I do not know about.

MacPorts and Fink both have GTK+ for 10.3 or newer, but require X11.

Something else you might want to talk about in your article is methods
for deploying a GTK app in OS X.  For example, Gimp is available as a
Mac app bundle.  It requires X11 still, but the app bundle launches it
for you and also allows the gimp.app icon to receive file files via a
drag and drop in the finder or on the doc, and associates Gimp with file
types.  This makes Gimp, even though it's still running under X11 in
this case, more of a "normal" mac app.