Re: Out of Date Webpages

On 3/15/07, Emmanuele Bassi <ebassi gmail com> wrote:
On Thu, 2007-03-15 at 06:01 +0200, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:
> On 3/14/07, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe <tshepang gmail com> wrote:
> > >
> > > for the moment, yes.
> > > and please let us know if you already have commit access or not.
> >
> > I was worried that some developers would complain about html patches
> > dirtying the list, but then thanks if you'll look and commit the
> > patches since I don't have commit rights.
>
> * There's 3 directories in svn (branches, tags, trunk), and it seems
> only 'trunk' should be kept since the others are horribly outdated (~5
> years) and just duplicate info of each other and that of 'trunk'.
> Could someone remove them since I don't see their use.

this is how SVN repositories work: trunk/ is roughly equivalent to CVS
HEAD branch; the branches/ and tags/ directories are used to store
specific branches and to tag a specific version. since the web site for
gtk+ (and for GNOME, for that matter) are stored in SVN and regenerated
via cron jobs, that explains the presence of those two directories.

Thanks for the info.

Why would one tag or branch web pages? Such functionality seem only
appropriate for software.

> * I don't know too much how web technologies work but I expected that
> if I open trunk/index.html I should see a page similar to that found
> in www.gtk.org, but in svn's html, there's no left-hand table and no
> pictures for example.

the script that regenerates the site includes the various common
sections of the site (top, bottom and side bars) using comments in the
HTML file. consider it a poor man's PHP, if you want. :-)

Why this script complication? Why isn't it shown exactly like it would
appear on the web?

> * I see www.gtk.org (dated Dec 2006) hasn't been updated to latest svn
> (dated Jan 2007).

yeah, it's known; when GNOME migrated from CVS to SVN the scripts
weren't updated. we can also drop the cron job and use the commit hook
script that SVN provides, now.

Me can't wait for any solution, just so that the changes I might make
will become web-visible soon after they get committed...