Re: VFS for legacy apps (was: gvfs status report)

On Thu, 2007-02-22 at 10:33 +0100, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-02-22 at 03:10 -0600, Hans Petter Jansson wrote:
>
> > This won't work. We need to be able to extract all the mount information
> > from the path, so that if the app stores the path across sessions, say,
> > in "recent documents", the FUSE layer will know what to do when it's
> > accessed later.
>
> I'm just not certain this is true. I mean, we already have this problem
> with say filenames pointing to unmounted NFS shares, or to removable
> media. Is this a huge problem? You'll just get an error that the file is
> not there, go "ah, yeah", click on the icon to mount the share and try
> again.

As a further example of this I tried OSX. It has a system similar to the
first proposal. I.E. When you mount smb://server/share in the finder it
appears as the unix mount /Volume/server;share, and connecting to
ftp://ftp.gnome.org/ gives you a /Volume/ftp.gnome.org mount.

It handled the recent files case by not showing the recently opened file
in the recent files menu when it was on a share that is no longer
mounted. However, if I remounted it it appeared again. (Although i did
have to restart the app, which is sort of crap.)

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's an all-American guitar-strumming gentleman spy who dotes on his loving
old ma. She's a mistrustful gypsy traffic cop from a secret island of warrior
women. They fight crime!