Re: elastic tabstops implemented for GTK

On 30/08/2007, Kalle Vahlman <kalle vahlman gmail com> wrote:
> 2007/8/29, Nick Gravgaard <me nickgravgaard com>:
> [snip]
> > But wouldn't it be nice to have the choice over how big your
> > indentation is without forcing it on anyone else?
>
> OTOH you are forcing anyone wishing to look at your code to have a
> suitable viewer. If you think about how source code is viewed these
> days, the range of viewers does not include only editors. I see code
> in emails, different web applications, on the command line (grep,
> diff, etc) and so on.

True, but code often looks wrong on different viewers anyway. I've
seen code displayed using proportional fonts in web browsers/email
clients which screws up space and tab aligning, and then there's the
problem where Unix terminals assume tabs to be 8 characters wide, but
Windows assumes 4.

> > > To me it looks like an attempt to force everyone to use
> > > gedit (or whatever chosen editor) to display the text.
> >
> > I have to start somewhere and I chose gedit and GTK. I intend to port
> > this to other platforms/editors
>
> I suppose this would include the tools mentioned above right?-)

See my point above.

> > If you don't want to save files with tabs in and be able to manipulate
> > your text outside the editor etc you can always just use elastic
> > tabstops in editors that support them and make sure they export files
> > using spaces.
>
> In effect, this is the only realistic way to work in my opinion. But
> then this cool notion becomes simply yet another indentation technique
> for writing code (which doesn't work over saves), not the silver
> bullet it is meant to be...

IMO it's still better than anything I've seen in exisiting editors...