Re: GTK+ Web site overhaul

Behdad Esfahbod skrev:
> On Mon, 2007-04-23 at 16:15 -0400, Martyn Russell wrote:

Hi,

>> Jeff volunteered to help set up gtk.org with moinmoin [2] and
>> mentioned that http://www.pango.org/ and http://www.gnome-db.org/ currently use
>> that particular Wiki. My personal view of it, is that it seems
>> somewhat simplistic and might not cater for our needs?
>
> Drupal is a fully armed CMS.  I don't see what feature of it we may need
> that we don't get from a wiki engine.  Moinmoin is not exactly my
> favorite wiki engine, but its been serving many projects good enough.  A
> problem Fedora recently faced with moinmoin though is that lots of
> content (like various meeting logs...) slowed down search functionality
> drastically... But for Gtk+, I don't think there going to be such
> problems anytime soon.  Just let people edit it...

I'd use Drupal over a simple wiki any day.

It has several things that might come in handy over time for gtk.org.

* News/blog engine, very useful for release notes and possibly a
  www.gtk.org/blog in the future for updates in the projects. With RSS
  generation.

* CMS managed aggregator (create a gtk.org planet and manage it from the
  same admin system).

* Better ACLs if certain pages require moderation (which I believe they
  might).

* Forums integrated, there are a lot of people feeling uncomfortable
  asking questions through mailing lists.

* Attachment handling (this is possible through many wikis as well, not
  sure about Moinmoin).

* Localized content (If I recall Drupal came short here though and was
  one of the reasons why it weren't chosen for gnome.org. However this
  is something that is being worked on in Drupal afaik).

While some of these items might not be interesting today, they might
become over time.

Also, we won't loose any functionality by using Drupal over Moinmoin and
 can even start out by using it as a wiki + news engine for release
notes. And then turn on other bits as the site grows.

>> Does anyone have a view on this?
>> Can anyone provide a good comparison between drupal and moinmoin?
>> Does anyone have a better solution to suggest?

I can't compare with Moinmoin as I haven't run it for quite a bit of
time but I'm very happy with Drupal for developer.imendio.com and two
other sites I'm setting up with it.

Keep it up, wonderful to see this being picked up!

Cheers,
  Mikael Hallendal

--
Imendio AB, http://www.imendio.com/