Re: new stock icons

On Mon, 2007-04-02 at 15:14 -0400, Morten Welinder wrote:
> On 4/2/07, Jakub Steiner <jimmac gmail com> wrote:
> > Hi gtk+ developers.
> > I propose a replacement of the current gtk stock icons with newly
> > created artwork[1].
>
> True or False: if you do so, applications that use the occasional own
> icon will en up looking wrong with the new icons.  (And if we fix the
> icons, then the updated look with be wrong with old gtk.)

I think this can be true and false - many applications use their own
icons for some custom operations - maybe they were designed to "fit with
the theme/colours of existing stock icons", maybe they were designed to
fit with all the other custom icons that go in that custom toolbar
in the corner, worst case is that the colour softness/contrast really
doesnt match in a list of icons that are side by side - some custom,
some stock.

My personal opinion is that this shouldnt hold us back from renewing
the look of gtk+ stock icons - those older apps will definitly remain
just as usable - /possibly/ in need of a minor face lift.

Cheers,
                    -Tristan