Re: What about official GTK+ installer for win32?

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006, Tor Lillqvist wrote:

Tomasz Jankowski writes:
> I want to make installer for my program and I'm not sure if adding copy of
> GTK+ libraries to it will be a good idea.

Yes, it is.

I think experience has shown that it is futile to try to use a single common GTK+ installation on Windows for all applications. One of the reasons for this is that, despite the best efforts of maintainers, the fact is that diferent versions of GLib, Pango and GTK+ for Windows can and do differ in details in how various functionality is implemented...

I agree with Tor on this (chiming in as author/maintainer of a GTK-based program that has a Windows version).

Sometimes I am _almost_ inclined to see this as a plus. If you distribute the GTK runtime with your program, you know exactly what's available in terms of API. If you're distributing a GTK program for Linux -- depending on a common, shared set of GTK libraries -- you have to program defensively, trying to ensure that your application will work correctly with the lowest common denominator of (acceptable) GTK installations.

Allin Cottrell