Re: pkg-config output on the Windows platform?

Hi Tor,

Tor Lillqvist wrote:
> John Pye writes:
>  > Can anyone tell me what system pkg-config uses when some/all of the C
>  > Preprocessor paths contain spaces?
>
> How hard would it be to try yourself? ;)

Well, quite hard :-). I would have to download and attempt to build all
of GTK and whatever its dependencies are. Not keen for that.

Actually the reason I ask this question here is that you guys have got
the 'pkg-config' tool and although I'm not sure that this 'standard'
started here, that was my best guess. The '*-config' concept is a pretty
good one when it comes to building packages that have dependencies on
other ones, and that's what I'm trying to pick up on and use on the
Windows platform... but this means that the *-config tool must support
spaces, and I'm not sure what the correct cross-platform way to do that
would be.

My guess is that one should use flags in a form that could be pasted
into the Bash command-line.

>  > For example, is it  -L"c:\Program Files\GTK\lib"
>  > or "-Lc:\Program Files\GTK\lib"
>  > or -Lc:\\Program\ Files\\GTK\\lib
>
> It turns out to be none of the above, but something completely
> bogus... I put glib-2.0.pc into "c:\tmp\foo bar\lib\pkgconfig", set
> PKG_CONFIG_PATH, and...:
>
> pkg-config --cflags glib-2.0
> bar/include/glib-2.0 bar/lib/glib-2.0/include -Ic:/tmp/foo
>
> So, don't install developer packages that come with .pc files in paths
> with spaces.

I think that this could reasonably be reported as a bug, as Yevgen
suggested.

Cheers
JP

--
John Pye
Department of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering