Re: Problem with preview and the blocking print dialog

John (J5) Palmieri wrote:

On Thu, 2006-05-11 at 11:48 -0500, Yevgen Muntyan wrote:
Alexander Larsson wrote:

I think the best way to do this is to rely on an external helper. For a
couple of reasons:
* Running something as complicated as a document viewer in the same
process as the application scares me for stability reasons. Its easy for
a bug in the viewer to bring the whole app down, or to affect it badly.
* Writing a good viewer is hard. Its not just about rendering the
metafile to a window and adding next/prev buttons. The people working on
evince have learnt this, and they have created a very nice viewer. This
would just be a massive amount of duplicative work.

But who needs a good viewer? Doesn't preview in gnomeprint
work well enough? Preview is needed to get the user the idea
of what he will have on paper (like will content fit on the page
or he needs to change margins, or something), but it doesn't
have to be of super good quality.

Being that it is easier and more stable to implement a solution that
will give you as close to exact representation of what will turn up on
paper I really don't see your argument that we should implement an
inferior viewer.
The
"Running something as complicated as a document viewer in the same

process as the application scares me for stability reasons. Its easy for
a bug in the viewer to bring the whole app down, or to affect it badly.

Writing a good viewer is hard. Its not just about rendering the

metafile to a window and adding next/prev buttons." was not clear to me, and it is still not clear. Print preview should not be a document viewer, it should be bunch of small pictures of what's going to be on the paper. Using an external viewer means: window manager will treat it as a separate application (since it's a separate application), so it will behave just like what it will be - external viewer opening generated pdf document; and it will be incredibly slow and memory greedy. Also, it means that you can't
just install gtk to have fully-functional printing. You will also need to install
poppler, evince, and whatnot.
I personally would hate sitting and watching bouncing cursor for looking at whether i have one or two pages of printout. And no, I don't have a fast computer!
I have my less-than-2GHz machine with 256MB of memory and I still want to be able
to see print preview without extra trouble.

This stuff is not going to be a problem given that: the viewer application is light and fast; it must be very scriptable or something to make it look and behave as a natural part of the application. Evince doesn't satisfy these requirements

BTW, MacOSX does previews in this manner also.
MacOSX has lot of things, which won't be as pretty if implemented
on linux today.
It's not the *idea* of external viewer that's bad. It doesn't matter
if it's external or internal if it works well. But external viewer just
won't work well.

Regards,
Yevgen